Sunday 2 August 2009

A meeting with Judy Waterlow

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting and spending an afternoon with Judy Waterlow, the constructor of the Waterlow Pressure Ulcer Risk Assessment Scale.

I started my journey at 6 o'clock in the morning and arrived in Taunton just after midday, where a smiling Judy Waterlow picked me up and took me to her beautiful house. Over lunch Judy, Rupert (and Ranger) and I discussed various different topics before starting our discussion regarding WITA and pressure ulcer risk assessments. It was clear from the start that both Judy and I were on the same wavelength and have similiar goals to achieve.

When I started the process of identifying and procuring a wound management system out on the market I struggled to find one that ticket all the boxes that I would want to use. When I came across Antonic's wound image based tissue analysis tool, I knew I had found something special and could help develop it into a very attractive and compelling wound management solution.

The idea behind WITA is to provide a standardised methodology to wound care, maintain the integrity and accountability of the wound diagnosis and care plan, whilst providing a platform to educate younger nurses and carers around the correct methods to check for pressure ulceration and how to treat specific types ofwounds.

It was a very educational trip for me, as Judy talked me through some of her presentations regarding pressure ulcers and the ways they can be prevented. I feel we both came away thinking we have an ally in each other as we fight for the same goals to improve education and provide a standardise platform for nurse, carer and public development.

No comments:

Post a Comment